Streets & Highways
Local Streets and Roads, Bike Lanes and Sidewalks
Our region’s transportation network is tied together by nearly 900 miles of local streets and roads, which include bridges, sidewalks, curbs and gutters, wheelchair ramps, bike paths, traffic signals and storm drains. These roadways provide access to our homes, hospitals, parks, beaches, stores, and schools. From the moment we open our front door and drive to work, bike to school, walk to the store, or hop on the bus, we are dependent upon safe, reliable local streets and roads.
Major local roads such as Soquel Drive, Mt. Hermon Road, and Freedom Boulevard connect our communities to one another. The RTC awards some of the region’s share of state and federal funds to local governments for re-paving, construction and improvements to local streets and roads. Information on projects that are funded by the RTC is included in the Regional Transportation Improvement Program (RTIP). To inquire about a particular project or to report a street or road that needs attention, contact the Public Works Department responsible for maintaining streets in your jurisdiction:
- City of Capitola Public Works
- City of Santa Cruz Public Works
- City of Scotts Valley Public Works
- City of Watsonville Public Works
- County of Santa Cruz Public Works
Bike Lanes and Sidewalks
- RTC Bicycle Projects and Programs
- 2016 Santa Cruz County Bikeways Map and other Bicycle Resources
- RTC Pedestrian Programs
- Use the Hazard Report to reports obstacles or hazards that may inhibit bike or pedestrian travel.
A number of California State Routes commonly referred to as highways run through Santa Cruz County. Santa Cruz County residents and visitors are served by Highways: 1, 9, 17, 129, 152 and 236. While the State of California owns, maintains and operates these highways, a significant level of local participation in both funding and planning for these facilities is required. These local highway-related activities are conducted by the RTC.
Current Highway Projects in Santa Cruz County
- Overview of Current and Past Highway 1 Projects
- Highway 1 Corridor Investment Program
- Highway 17 Projects
- Caltrans Construction Update and Major Projects
- Highway 129 Realignment
- To report maintenance needed on state highways, submit a Maintenance Service Request
Related Projects and Resources
Senior Transportation Planner