Approved Projects (RTIP)
Projects approved for funding by the RTC are included in the Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Improvement Program (RTIP). The RTIP identifies projects programmed to receive various state and federal funds, amends information on previously programmed projects, and acts as Santa Cruz County’s proposal to the California Transportation Commission (CTC) for programming State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) funds.
2016 RTIP – Projects delayed due to State funding shortfalls (Adopted December 3, 2015)
On December 3, 2015 the RTC adopted the 2016 STIP. Due to a severe drop in state gas tax revenues made available for STIP projects, no new funding was available for programming in the 2016 STIP and instead over $750 million in projects statewide were deleted and most others have to wait several years to receive funding. The RTC’s proposal to the CTC shifted funds for previously approved projects to later years. In total, the RTC delayed 80% of previously approved funds. In May 2016, the CTC delayed projects even more and deleted funds designated for construction of one project in Santa Cruz County.
- CTC Approved 2016 STIP – Reflects changes made by CTC to RTC proposal (5/25/16)
- 2016 RTIP: Initial Proposal to CTC for STIP projects (12/3/15)
- Staff Report on the 2016 RTIP
- 2016 RTIP Project List (active projects as of May 2016)
- News Release: “State Slashing Transportation Funding” (2/19/16)
2014 RTIP – $14 million approved for projects (Adopted December 5, 2013)
The RTC adopted the 2014 RTIP following a public hearing at its December 5, 2013 meeting, selecting 26 projects to receive over $14 million in State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), Regional Surface Transportation Program (RSTP), and Monterey Bay Sanctuary Scenic Trail funds. Visit Grant Programs for information on the 2014 RTIP development.
- 2014 RTIP Document
- Approved Projects
- Press release
- Staff report (Item 22 in the 12/5/13 agenda packet)
Regional Surface Transportation Program (RSTP) (Approved February 7, 2013)
Following a public hearing, the RTC programmed $5.3 million of the region’s shares of Regional Surface Transportation Program (RSTP) funds to 16 projects on February 7, 2013.
- Approved Projects
- Staff report (Item 22 in the 2/7/13 agenda packet)
- News Release on public hearing
- Staff and RTC Advisory Committee Recommendations
- Project Summaries
Projects Selected to Receive Over $11 million in Transportation Funds (June 2009)
Following a public hearing in Watsonville on June 4, 2009, the Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) selected transportation projects to receive over $11 million in federal funds, including economic stimulus funds from the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA).
- Approved projects (6/4/09)
Economic Stimulus Funds (February & June 2009)
At its February 5, 2009 and June 4, 2009 meetings, the RTC selected projects to receive $12.1 million in funds from the “highway” portion of the federal economic stimulus bill – the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). In October 2009 and spring 2010, additional changes were made to the project list, primarily resulting from cost savings on projects constructed over the summer.
Federal Transportation Improvement Program (FTIP/MTIP)
Projects that are regionally significant or have been approved by RTC and/or other agencies for Federal transportation funds are included in the Federal Transportation Improvement Program (FTIP). The FTIP for the Monterey Bay Area is prepared by the Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments (AMBAG) and is called the Monterey Bay Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (MTIP).
2016 MTIP: Notice of Public Review, Comments and Hearing
The Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments (AMBAG) invites the public to comment on the Draft Monterey Bay Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (MTIP): FFY 2016-17 to 2019-20 .
The Draft Monterey Bay MTIP: FFY 2016-17 to 2019-20 is the tri-county region’s (Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito counties) short range transportation programming document that contains transportation improvement projects including public mass transit, highway, bridge, local road, bicycle and pedestrian projects proposed for funding based on anticipated available federal, state and local funding over the next four years (FFY 2016-17 to 2019-20). All projects that receive federal funds, are subject to a federally required action, or are regionally significant need to be included in the MTIP. The MTIP must be financially constrained and must be updated at least every four years. The MTIP must be consistent with AMBAG’s 2035 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) for the tri-county (Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito counties) Metropolitan Planning Region.
The public review and comments period starts July 21, 2016 and ends August 19, 2016. Copies of the Draft Monterey Bay MTIP: FFY 2016-17 to 2019-20 are available at the following locations, as well as website links listed below:
1. Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments: 24580 Silver Cloud Court, Monterey, CA 93940, or www.ambag.org
2. Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission: 1523 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, or www.sccrtc.org
3. Transportation Agency for Monterey County: 55-B Plaza Circle Salinas, CA 93901, or www.tamcmonterey.org
4. Council of San Benito County Governments: 330 Tres Pinos Rd, Suite C7, Hollister CA 95023, or www.sanbenitocog.org
Written comments may be submitted to Sasha Tepedelenova, AMBAG Office at: 24580 Silver Cloud Court, Monterey, CA 93940, faxed at 831-883-3755 or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Written comments must be received at AMBAG no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, August 19, 2016.
This public notice of public involvement activities and time established for public review and comments on the MTIP development process will also satisfy the FTA’s Program of Projects requirements.
A public hearing to receive public testimony on this document is set for Wednesday, August 10, 2016 no sooner than 6:00 p.m. (PDT) during the AMBAG Board of Directors meeting at the Marina Library Community Room, 190 Seaside Circle, Marina, CA 93933.
- Overview of Transportation Funding in California
- Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (MTIP) – Federal Programming Document Prepared by AMBAG
- State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) – Prepared by the California Transportation Commission
- Caltrans Division of Transportation Programming – Information on STIP, Proposition 1B, TCRP, and other Funding Programs
- Caltrans Local Assistance – Information on grant opportunities and implementing local transportation projects
Senior Transportation Planner